Discovering your passion(s) can be a tricky journey. One minute you may feel like you’re onto something and the next, back at square one. Unmotivated and quite frankly, over it. The thing with passion is that, despite all odds, it remains. It’s that one thing you can always count on to bring you happiness and drive despite your current situation. It’s essentially what makes us feel good, and the goal is to always do what we love.
If you feel like you have not found that inner passion that you so often hear about, it can be a daunting and horrible feeling. Scrolling through your timeline like ‘e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e has their lives together doing what they love and stuff, what the heck!?’. Well news just in, they so do not. In fact, I’m yet to meet a human who has their life ‘together’. If you really think about it, I’m sure you could say the same. But that’s the beauty of being human, we are all beautifully flawed and perfectly imperfect; ultimately just trying to figure out which path we believe is best for us.
Perhaps all that stuff doesn’t resonate with you because you’re a part of the lucky ones who know exactly where their passions lay. You know what brings you happiness. The question is, how often are you partaking in this passion? Is it taking a back seat amongst your other commitments such as a 9 to 5 maybe, or time invested into activities that no longer bring you joy? It might be worth exploring the prospect of taking the dreaded ‘leap of faith’ from an average life to a passionately fulfilled one as your next venture.
To help you on your way to discovering the passion that lays within you and to encourage your leap of faith, here are 21 of my favourite quotes on the topic. Let me know which ones resonate with you the most!
- “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Do it no matter what. If you believe in it, it is something very honourable. If somebody around you or your family does not understand it, then that’s their problem. But if you do have a passion, an honest passion, just do it.” – Mario Andretti
- “You just have to find that thing that’s special about you that distinguishes you from all the others, and through true talent, hard work and passion, anything can happen.” – Dr. Dre
- “If you have passion, there is no need for excuses because your enthusiasm will trump any negative reasoning you might come up with. Enthusiasm makes excuses a non-issue.” - Wayne Dyer
- “There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.” – Nelson Mandela
- “If you feel like there’s something out there that you’re supposed to be doing if you have a passion for it, then stop wishing and just do it.” —Wanda Sykes
- “Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things.” - Denis Diderot
- “You have to be burning with an idea, or a problem, or a wrong that you want to right. If you’re not passionate enough from the start, you’ll never stick it out.” - Steve Jobs
- “One person with passion is better than forty people merely interested.” - M. Forster
- “Nothing is as important as passion. No matter what you want to do with your life, be passionate.” - Jon Bon Jovi
- “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.” - Bishop T.D. Jakes
- “Chase down your passion like it’s the last bus of the night.” - Terri Guillemets
- “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing that I wanted to do.” – Georgia O’Keefe
- “It’s your place in the world; it’s your life. Go on and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live.” – Mae Jemison
- “The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.” – Ferdinand Foch
- “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
- “Almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” – Steve Jobs (A personal favourite quote).
- “Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.” – Ella Fitzgerald
- “Just because your life changes, doesn’t mean that your deepest passions have to.” - Shannon Miller
- “It’s your place in the world; it’s your life. Go on and do all you can with it and make it the life you want to live.” - Mae Jemison
- “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” - Steve Jobs
How would you describe your relationship with passion?
Maybe some of our products can help you on your journey to finding your passion, success, and fulfillment.
By Tinisha Savage for Let's Talk Coaching
Opinions expressed by Let's Talk Coaching contributors are their own.